Essential Information to Visit Greece in October
About the Weather In Greece in October
- Greece in October experiences mild weather conditions with average daily temperature rising to a maximum of 22 C.
- It gets a bit cold in the evening as the minimum temperature can decrease to 8 C, so bringing a light jacket or jumper for evenings is good.
- Most of the time i.e., 65% of the time, the weather is sunny but there is a 32% chance of Greece having a mix of clouds and sunshine in October.
- October in Greece also gets rainfall 4-5 days, about 13 mm rainfall is expected in the month of October.
What to Pack For Greece in October?
Things To Do In Greece in October
Activity Location: Dionysiou Areopagitou 15, 117 42, Athens
- Monday - Thursday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
- Friday - 09:00 AM - 10:00 PM
- Saturday & Sunday: 09:00 AM - 08:00 PM
Activity Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
Last admission: 30 minutes before closing
About the Acropolis Museum:
Visit the Acropolis Museum, an architectural masterpiece that blends ancient history with modern design. Step into a world where centuries converge as the museum's glass floors offer glimpses into the ancient ruins beneath your feet. Marvel at the stunning collection of priceless artifacts that tell the captivating stories of Greece's glorious past. Let the lighting and artistic presentation transport you to a bygone era when gods and heroes walked the earth. From the iconic Parthenon sculptures to the intricately crafted statues, each exhibit has something unique to offer. Book tickets to the Acropolis Museum and go on a cultural journey at one of the most visited archeological museums in the world.
Activity Location: Adrianou 24, 105 55, Athens
Operational Hours: 08:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Activity Duration: 1-2 hours (Approx.)
About Ancient Agora of Athens:
Visit the Ancient Agora of Athens, city's iconic and historic monument, with your loved ones to learn about its past. Know how it served as a marketplace and a political hub in the 5th century (B.C.). The site was initially built during the Hellenistic period, and you can still feel that era's energy while touring. With the tickets for Ancient Agora of Athens, you will also be able to access the Temple of Hephaestus, Museum of the Ancient Agora in the Stoa of Attalos, Tholos & Bouleuterion.
Watch the Sunset in Santorini
- Numerous places allow you to watch the sunset in Santorini, and it is one of the best things to do in Greece in October.
- The Akrotiri Lighthouse has an impressive silhouette during sunset and a beautiful view to look at.
- Apart from the sunset, the view of the Aegean Sea from here is incredible too.
- The oldest lighthouse in Greece, it is located in a narrow lane with a tiny parking area. So, drive early here to witness the stunning sunset.
Climb on Mount Olympus
- Mount Olympus, the highest point in Greece, and home of the Gods, according to Greek mythology.
- It has 46 peaks, with Mytikas as its apex and Stefani as a notable summit due to being Zeus’s throne.
- The second-highest peak, Skolio, is perfect for rock climbing in October in Greece.
- Since 1938, Mount Olympus has been a national park with exotic plants and wildlife.
- An ideal non-hike location with a few areas that require professional rock-climbing skills. Take a guide with you to climb this historical mountain to witness the beautiful view of the Mediterranean Sea.
Spend A Leisure Time at Kleftiko Beach
- Kleftiko Beach is spectacular, with turquoise-tinted and clear water, white cliffs, intriguing caves, and tunnels.
- Kleftiko beach, a hidden gem on Milos Island, is said to have been an old pirate hideout in the past.
- Spending leisure time here doing things like swimming, or soaking up the sun is the best.
- Snorkelling here is ideal for exploring beneath the surface, as there is deep water and a few fish to see.
Go For A Hiking on Skaros Rock
- Skaros Rock is a massive volcanic promontory rising from the Aegean Sea.
- An interesting fact about Skaros rock is that it wasn’t conquered but was destroyed by a series of earthquakes and volcanoes.
- A hike to Skaros Rock is one of the best things to do in Greece in October to witness the marvellous and stunning views of Caldera.
- The hike is pretty straightforward, with one trail starting from Imerovigli, which takes 45-minutes to reach the rock.
Have A Fun Day at Labyrinth Theme Park
- The Labyrinth is a massive maze in Greece where you must find clues hidden within the maze to reach the centre, find a minotaur, and escape.
- A thrilling experience for both children and adults, with a prize for beating the time stamp.
- The layout of the maze keeps changing, so no day looks the same.
- Other activities to check out here include mini-golf, archery, visiting the eco-garden, taking donkey rides, exploring the mini-farm, and more.
Timings: 10 am -7 pm (Tuesday-Sunday)
Charges: £11 (Adults & children over 11), £ 6 (Children 4-11)
Go for a Wine Tasting tour
- Greece is known for its aromatic and flavoursome wines and in the city of Attica, you will find some of the best wineries in the world.
- The Markou Wine Museum: the oldest and most historic winery in the world, with the best vineyard.
- Athens Wine Tasting: For an intimate experience of tasting the finest wines.
- Pyrgos Vasilissis: an innovative winery with the aim of modernising Greek farming.
- Georgos Family: A top-rated winery with certificates from many wine inspection organisations.
Take A Tour to Greek National Football Museum
- This small museum is filled with jerseys of world-renowned football players, tickets, posters, original balls, and other football memorabilia.
- The museum, owned by Nikos Flekkas, shows his collectibles from important football matches.
- From the jerseys of every player on the Greek football team to having jerseys of Messi, Ronaldo, and Johan Gryuff, he has it all.
- View the iconic ball from the final of the European Championship of 2004.
Admire The Ruins to Monemvasia Fortress
- It is an enchanting fortress preserved with no hints of intervention by human, time, or nature.
- Built on a tiny rocky island with a link to the mainland, it has three parts-the upper town, the lower town, and the Acropolis.
- Wander around the lower town to eat, drink, or shop while admiring the beautiful and dreamy mansions here.
- Explore the beautiful Kaldermini Street, named after a poet, and Yiannis Ritsos Street.
Visit the Beautiful Zakynthos Island
- Zakynthos Island in Greece is an island that you can access only by boat. It is known best for its shipwrecked beach, Navagio.
- The Ionian Sea-engulfed Island is known for its other magnificent beaches, such as Aganas, Vasilikos, Gerakas, Vasilikos, and Spiantza, as well as natural landscapes.
- One of the most beautiful islands in Greece, it is also known for housing the endangered sea turtle species, Caretta.
- Zakynthos Town, the capital of the island, has a few gems to offer, like Saint Mark Square, Solomos Square, the Venetian Castle, and the Post-Byzantine Museum.
Hike the Corfu Trail
- One of the most exciting things to do in Greece in October is to hike the Corfu Trail.
- The Corfu Trail, a popular hiking trail, is a long route that crosses the entire Corfu island from its south to its north.
- Though it is a long route, its difficulty and intensity are low, making for an easier hike.
- Around 180 km long, the trail crosses a few unique historical, cultural, and environmental features of the island.
Visit Museum of Contemporary Art
- Started in 2000, it is the sole museum in Athens, focused on exhibiting and collecting contemporary international and Greek art.
- Witness the artwork by Stephen Antonakos, Nan Goldin, Gary Hill, Allan Sekula, Costas Tsocilis, Tessera, and other famous artists.
- Exhibitions of contemporary art here are quite famous. Apart from that, the museum also runs educational programs.
Location: Kallirrois Avenue and Ambr. Frantzi (former factory), Athina 117 43, Greece.
Visit the Red Beach
- A rare beauty, the stunning Red Beach gets its name from its red sand.
- Formed by a volcanic eruption, it is engulfed in volcanic rock, red and black pebbles, and marine life.
- Red Beach is known for snorkelling due to the clear water, though other water activities are not prominent here.
- There are a few sun loungers and umbrellas on this small, semi-organized beach.
- Once here, do visit the Akrotiri lighthouse to see a beautiful sunset and spend a few romantic moments.
Location: Akrotiri Village, Santorini, Greece
Explore the Monasteries of Meteora
- The Meteora has six monasteries located on the cliffs, a must visit in October in Greece.
- Described as spiritual, serene, magical, extraordinary, breath-taking, and impressive, these monasteries are a massive inspiration for all.
- A UNESCO heritage site, the landscape is stunning, with a massive complex of rock pillars and monasteries standing on the Santone cliffs.
- The six monasteries are, The monastery of great Meteoron-the oldest and biggest one, The Holy Monastery of Varlaam, the second-biggest monastery, Monastery of Roussanou, Monastery of St. Stephen, The Monastery of Holy Trinity, and The Monastery of St. Nikolaos
Location: Kalambaka 422 00, Greece
Go Spelunking at Melissani Cave
- The cave lake, 2 km from Sami Village, on Kefalonia island, is an adventurous place to visit in Greece in October.
- According to legend, the caves got their name from a nymph who died here after being broken-hearted and rejected by God Pan.
- Melissani Caves has a stunning blue lake in a rocky cave for spelunking. The exterior is engulfed in forests and trees.
- A boat ride will take you here to explore the beautiful caves in the middle of a sunny day to see how sun rays make the water shine.
Location: Kefalonia, Greece
Admire Hephaestus Temple
- In October, visit the Hephaestus temple, Greece's oldest and best-preserved temple, which has risen on a hill.
- The temple is 32 metres long and made of 5th-century BC marble. It is dedicated to Hephaestus, the Greek God of Blacksmithing.
- Learn more about the interiors of the temples, which have stunning friezes depicting scenes of battles between centaurs and others.
- Admire the exterior of this stunning temple that depicts the adventures of Heracles on the front.
Location: Athens 105 55, Greece
Explore the Palace of Malia
- The Palace of Malia is the third largest provincial Minoan palace in the world, and Sarpedona, son of Europa and Zeus, ruled here.
- This beautiful palace has two floors, while its western paved courts are the way through the palace via a long, beautiful procession.
- Here you can explore the adjoining sanctuaries, royal quarters, central court, theatre, loggia, magazines, and workshops.
Location: Archaeological site of Malia, Malia 700 07, Greece
Enjoy Sunset at Oia
- Oia is known for witnessing some of the most stunning, magical, and breath-taking sunsets.
- As the sun sets, the windmills, dome churches, and whitewashed buildings glow in orange and pink colours.
- It makes for a magical backdrop for photographers, making the sunset an unforgettable moment for all.
- Oia Castle is one location to witness the beautiful sunset with views of buildings perched on Calera’s edge.
- The other location is next to the three blue domes of Oia, where you can watch the sunset with the beautiful setting of the blue dome and church bells.
Location: Santorini, Greece
Caldera from Cable Cars
- One of the thrilling things to do in Greece in October is to view the beauty of the volcanic caldera from cable cars.
- The cable car that starts from the old port and ends at Fira, offers panoramic views of the Sea.
- Also, you get to witness the unique and stunning views of the surrounding city.
- Cable cars provide the best way to reach here while taking stunning photos of the magnificent view.
Location: Old Port- Fira, Santorini
Visit a Volcano on Nea Kameni
- Nea Kameni, the site of an ancient dormant volcano shaping Santorini’s geography and history, is worth exploring.
- Nea Kameni’s dark coloured sand and dirt, along with hot springs, are evidence of the island’s volcanic past.
- The hot springs have a high sulphur content, and people deem them magical, curing tonnes of ailments.
- Swimming in the beautiful water of Nea Kameni is one thing to do in Greece in October.
- Finally, walk around to enjoy the stunning views of Santorini Island while discovering new things.