About the Weather In Greece in December
Why to Visit Greece in December?
This is the off season, so there are more chances of getting hotel deals at much cheaper rates. Popular tourist attractions and destinations like Mykonos and Santorini are not crowded at this time of the year, so tourists can check out these places at their own pace without worrying about the crowds.
What To Pack For Greece in December?
Events and Festivals in Greece in December
Athens Boat Show
Things to Do and Places to Visit in December
Activity Location: Adrianou 24, 105 55, Athens
Operational Hours: 08:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Activity Duration: 1-2 hours (Approx.)
About Ancient Agora of Athens:
Visit the Ancient Agora of Athens, city's iconic and historic monument, with your loved ones to learn about its past. Know how it served as a marketplace and a political hub in the 5th century (B.C.). The site was initially built during the Hellenistic period, and you can still feel that era's energy while touring. With the tickets for Ancient Agora of Athens, you will also be able to access the Temple of Hephaestus, Museum of the Ancient Agora in the Stoa of Attalos, Tholos & Bouleuterion.
Activity Location: Dionysiou Areopagitou 15, 117 42, Athens
- Monday - Thursday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
- Friday - 09:00 AM - 10:00 PM
- Saturday & Sunday: 09:00 AM - 08:00 PM
Activity Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
Last admission: 30 minutes before closing
About the Acropolis Museum:
Visit the Acropolis Museum, an architectural masterpiece that blends ancient history with modern design. Step into a world where centuries converge as the museum's glass floors offer glimpses into the ancient ruins beneath your feet. Marvel at the stunning collection of priceless artifacts that tell the captivating stories of Greece's glorious past. Let the lighting and artistic presentation transport you to a bygone era when gods and heroes walked the earth. From the iconic Parthenon sculptures to the intricately crafted statues, each exhibit has something unique to offer. Book tickets to the Acropolis Museum and go on a cultural journey at one of the most visited archeological museums in the world.
As the name suggests, Red Beach is renowned for its gorgeous sand color located in Akrotiri in Greece. This beach attracts a myriad of visitors to its contrasting color of the glistening blue waters. On visiting the beach, you will discover some amazing volcanic rocks that offer a wild and captivating area of the entire scenery. You can partake in snorkeling or sailing activities or enjoy modern amenities like umbrellas and sunchairs.
Go Skiing In Arachova
- Arachova is a small hilly town which is popular for skiing and is located to the west of Boeotia and at the foothills of mount Parnassos.
- The town comes alive with tourists to try out multiple things to do in Greece in December, like experiencing the nightlife and admiring the eye-catching views of the hills from the village.
- The Parnassus Ski Center is one of the most sought after skiing centers as it is also one of the largest in Greece.
Location : Arachova 320 04, Greece
Timings : 9 AM to 5 PM
Distance from Greece : 162 kms
Price in Euros: 30 to 40
Price in US Dollars: 30 to 40
Uncover Lake Plastiras
- Alternatively known as the Tavropos reservoir, Lake Plastiras is an artificial lake where a number of activities such as kayaking, mountain biking, archery, and swimming can be enjoy
- The lake attracts both tourists looking for things to do in Greece in December who want to unwind and relax and tourists who want to experience a rush of adrenaline
- Tourists can treat their taste buds to some amazing food as the local cuisine is popular among the locals and is a recipient of popular awards and recognitions.
Location : Plastira Lake, Thessaly, Greece
Timings : 10 AM to 9 PM
Distance from Greece : 93 kms
Discover the Magical Zagorohoria
- Zagorohoria is shortly known as Zagori and is filled with 40 small settlements which are apt for activities like hiking, thanks to the mountains and canyons..
- This is a municipality located amidst the Pindus mountains in the northwestern part of Greece.
- It is a lesser known region by tourists looking for things to do in Greece in December, so it is nothing less than a hidden gem.
- Tourists planning a visit to this place can try out activities like going for walks along the beautiful and crystal clear Aoos river, explore Vikos-Aoos National Park by paddling, and even hike the dragon lake.
Location : Mikro Papigko 440 04, Greece
Distance from Greece: 294 km
Climb Mount Olympus
- With a height of almost 3000 meters, Mount Olympus is the tallest mountain in Greece which you can include in your itinerary to visit in Greece.
- Tourists with a little experience of hiking can climb the top of the mountain very smoothly.
- Tourists planning to visit Greece in December can mark their presence at this mountain and check out the quaint villages located amidst the foothills of the mountain. These villages are adorned with pretty streets and sell a lot of local products that are worth buying.
- The mountain also has facilities for adrenaline filled adventure activities like mountain biking, rock climbing and hiking.
Location : Mikro Papigko 440 04, Greece
Distance from Greece : 203 kms
Hiking Trail in Corfu
- Corfu is an island located on the northwestern coast of the Ionian sea which offers a tranquil environment.
- The hiking trails in this island are categorized between medium to difficult, so it is apt for experienced trekkers who want to explore the best views in Greece.
- There are more than 10 hiking trails which are well reputed amongst tourists and hiking enthusiasts visiting Greece in December.
- Vlacherna trail, old town, and twin bay are some noteworthy examples of trails worth considering for hiking while looking for things to do in Greece in December.
Swim In Thermal Lake Vouliagmeni
- Lake Vouliagmeni is a lake with mineral springs that come with healing properties, thanks to the mineral salts in the lake.
- The water in this lake is usually between 20 to 29 degrees celsius throughout the year which is apt for swimming.
- The springs in this lake shoot water from as deep as 100 meters and constantly replenishes the water in the lake.
- Tourists visiting this lake can also experience spa fish nibbling their feet to get rid of the dead skin cells and make the skin on the legs look healthy and good as new.
Distance from Greece : 316 kms
Price in Euros: 170 to 180
Price in US Dollars: 170 to 180
Watch the Sunset in Santorini
- Out of all the reasons tourists flock to Santorini, one would definitely be to watch the sunset.
- The pristine beaches and the white and blue houses in this island are some of the best viewpoints to catch a glimpse of the sunset.
- Sunset in Santorini is usually filled with a fresh burst of colors that drenches the volcanic scenery, right pink, royal blue, yellow, orange and gold.
- Places like the Akrotiri Lighthouse, Prophet Elias Monastery, Skaros Rock, and Santo Winery are some of the best places in Santorini to watch the sunset.
Location : Pyrgos Kallistis 847 00, Greece
Distance from Greece : 300 kms
- Mykonos is an island bordered by crystal blue waters and adorned with whitewashed buildings which makes it one of the most sought after spots to visit in Greece in December.
- The island is famous for its bars and beaches, but apart from these places, there are a lot more places worth checking out. Tourists in December can plan a visit to Kato Mili to have a look at the windmills built by the Venetians in the 16th century.
- They can also head to the Rarity Gallery to admire the different types of contemporary artworks established by both local and international artists.
Location : Kalogera 20 - 22, Mikonos 846 00, Greece
Distance from Greece : 400 km
Visit The Greek Islands
- Greece has an estimated total of more than 6000 islands and islets, out of which almost 230 islands are inhabited and are prominent tourist spots.
- These islands are known for their pristine waters that border their coastlines and the eye catchy beaches that are worth exploring.
- Prominent islands that one visits include Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini, and Crete.
- However, if tourists are looking for offbeat islands, they can head to islands like Sifnos, Ithaca, and Leros as they are not frequented by tourists but are loaded with attractions like Platis Gialos beach, Chrisopigi Monastery, and Leros War Museum.
- This Greek port city located alongside the Aegean Sea is also the second largest city in Greece.
- Prominent attractions that one should explore in Thessaloniki include the White Tower of Thessaloniki, Arch of Galerius, and the Museum of Byzantine Culture.
- Apart from the historical sites, Thessaloniki boasts a vibrant nightlife and a lot of places to shop for souvenirs and local goodies.
- Tourists touring Greece in December must come to Thessaloniki as it is the month in which the traditional holiday Bonfire Festival is celebrated.
Distance from Greece : 286 kms
Get Amazed at Prespes Lakes
- Alternatively known as Lake Prespa, this lake serves as the trijunctions border point between three countries- Greece, Macedonia and Albania.
- The lake comes with islands like the Agios Achilios Island that can be explored using bikes.
- The lake spans across almost 300 square kilometers and is a system of two lakes separated by an isthmus.
- This lake is hardly frequented by tourists so it is nothing less than a hidden gem that is worth considering while planning a trip to Greece.
- Tourists can find islands filled with people usually during the summer months, as this lake along with Lake Orchid comes to life during these times.
Distance from Greece : 355 kms
- Delphi is located at the foothills of Mount Parnassus in central Greece and is famous for the remnants of ancient Greek architecture.
- It is popular for being the seat of the high priestess of the Oracle of Apollo.
- Delphi has a prehistoric origin sometimes at around 6th to 4th century BC and majority of the places lie in ruins which have survived the test of time.
- Tourists visiting this place can check out places like the Temple of Apollo, Treasury of Athens, Stadium of Delphi and the Archeological Museum of Delphi.
Distance from Greece : 157 kms
Price in Euros: 5 to 20
Price in US Dollars: 5 to 20