Famous Castles Near Paris
Château of Azay-le-Rideau
- One of the most famous Castles near Paris is the Château of Azay-le-Rideau, a relatively smaller yet beautiful castle known for its stunning interiors and lush gardens surrounding it.
- Offering great views of the Loire River, Château of Azay-le-Rideau has been constructed as a combination of the Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture.
- The premises of the Château of Azay-le-Rideau are also home to a church, which contains the remains of famed artist Leonardo da Vinci.
Opening Hours: 09:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday); 09:30 a.m. to 07:00 p.m. (Monday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday)
Château de Chantilly
- Amongst the Best Castles near paris France is the Château de Chantilly, built between the 14th and 18th centuries and a perfect example of the Renaissance style of architecture
- It is in this castle where you can get a chance to witness the second most extensive collection of antique French art after The Louvre in Paris, something that has been well preserved here since 1886
- Château de Chantilly is also known for its 28 metre high dome, in addition to space that can hold 240 horses at a single time, making it the biggest stable in all of Europe
Opening Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m. (Closed on Tuesday)
Château de Monte-Cristo
- The Château de Monte-Cristo is amongst the most famous Castles near Paris, and was built for author Alexandre Dumas in the year 1844, after he wrote the book “The Three Musketeers”.
- Comparatively smaller than other famous castles near Paris, Château de Monte-Cristo is nothing short of a time machine that is sure to transport you back into the times of the Romantic period.
- Exuding a warm and charming ambience, the castle is a haven for literature enthusiasts, where they can attend the different literary events or simply explore the English garden that consists of fountains, waterfalls as well as a Gothic-style pavilion.
Château de Vincennes
- Ranked as one of the Best Castles near paris France, the Château de Vincennes is also amongst the oldest castles in all of France, and boasts the highest dungeon in Europe, with a height of over 50 metres.
- Accessible by stone bridges, this castle has the classical feel of a medieval era fortified castle, complete with a deep ditch surrounding it, as well as a courtyard, among other attractions.
- You can also climb around 250 steps all the way to the top of the dungeon, from where you can soak in some of the most panoramic views of the surrounding natural landscapes.
Château de Breteuil
- Considered to be one of the most historical Castles near Paris is the Château de Breteuil, which is tucked within a national natural park, and is a hub of a wide array of activities.
- The castle also boasts of an incredible garden, which is a part of the list of the “remarkable gardens of France”.
- The castle dates back to the 17th century, and was an inspiration for the setting of some of the most famous fairy tales, including the Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, as well as Cinderella, among others.
Château de Pierrefonds
- Another one of the Best Castles near paris France is the Château de Pierrefonds, famous for its resemblance to the Palace of Fontainebleau.
- Boasting of eight medieval towers and incredible decorations in all of its rooms, this imperial castle from the 14th century has a blend of Gothic and Medieval architecture
- The castle is also located near the national forest of Compiègne, and offers scintillating views of the same, especially during the rainy season
Château de Chambord
- Said to be one of the most tranquil Castles near Paris, the Château de Chambord is the largest castle in the famous Loire Valley, and dates back to the 16th century.
- Boasting of a blend of French Renaissance architecture with a gothic-medieval design, this castle also has a design that is said to have been inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s style.
- It is also a museum-style castle, where you can learn a lot about the region as well as the structure’s history.
Château de Cheverny
- Ranked in the list of the Best Castles near paris France, Château de Cheverny is also amongst the most offbeat castles in the region.
- It doubles up as a grand country mansion that dates back to the early 17th century, and boasts of spectacular grounds that surround it.
- The castle has also been used as a life-size inspiration to draw the Marlinspike Hall in the famous Tintin comics by Herge.
Also Checkout: Best Places to Visit in Paris at Night
Book Now: Paris Food Tour
Royal Château de Amboise
- One of the most beautiful and opulent Castles near Paris is the Royal Château de Amboise, built above the river, and home to vast garden stretches that offer serene views of the town of Amboise.
- A former medieval fortress, this castle was also the royal residence of Charles VIII, and has played host to several famed artists, including Leonardo da Vinci.
- The castle is also home to the beautiful Saint Hubert Chapel, which consists of the tomb of the famed Italian artist.
Château Royal de Blois
- Amongst the Best Castles near paris France is the Château Royal de Blois, which is said to be one of the most prestigious Renaissance monuments in all of France.
- It is here where you can see the evolution of French architecture from the Middle Ages, all the way to the 17th century.
- The castle also plays an important role in history, as it is the place where Duc of Guise, the leader of the ultra-catholic league was assassinated.