Activities to Do in USAWalk the Freedom Trail in Boston, Watch sunset at Golden Gate Bridge, Visit Grand Canyon, Watch Niagara Falls, Freedom Trail in Boston and many more.
There is an endless number of things to do in the USA for adrenaline junkies, history geeks, children, families, couples, nature lovers and luxury travellers. A visit to the most famous country in the world is going to leave you with infinite memories of playful days and adventurous evenings at famous places such as Niagara Falls, Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore.
Amongst some of the most memorable activities to do in USA with family, you are likely to be spoiled for choice, since you can go skiing in Aspen and explore the vast and picturesque deserts of Nevada. Experiencing the culture of America is, of course, one of the most wonderful things to do here. Music, art, poetry, science and technology are all a large part of this culture that has impacted people the world over. An authentic taste of a New York cheesecake or a visit to the International Space Station at NASA are things that you can definitely cross off your bucket list.
Exploring cities like Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Texas, Miami, Las Vegas and Boston will leave you spellbound with scenic beauty and natural wonders. Walking tours, live musical performances, watching the bridges and fountains light up and visiting some of the famous monuments are amongst the best things to do in USA at night.
Things to Do in USA
People Also Ask About USA Things To Do
Which are the best things to do in the USA?
1. Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston: The city of Boston in Massachusetts played a very important role in the independence of America, which has been commemorated with the magnificent Freedom Trail – a 2.5 miles-long red brick walkway that contains 16 important monuments and attractions along the way.
It is one of the most exciting things to do in USA and it is believed that an estimated 40,000 people walk this trail every year. You can learn incredible facts about the freedom movement and read about the local heroes and see important monuments such as the Park Street Church, Site of the Boston Massacre and Granary Burying Ground.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Price: $14 for adults, $8 for children for the official tour conducted by the Freedom Trail Foundatio
2. Golden Gate Bridge: Catch a Glimpse of the Sunset: One of the most iconic structures in the United States of America is the Golden Gate Bridge and one of the most rewarding things to do in USA is catching a magical sunset from beside the bridge. You can trek to the nearby Hawk Hill which gives you an uninterrupted view of the Golden Gate Bridge along with a golden, all-encompassing sunset. You can also watch the sunset from Torpedo Wharf, which is located close by.
Location: Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA, United State
3. Mt. Rushmore National Memorial: Witness Glory and Pride: Another iconic landmark in the United States is the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial – a magnificent structure where you can see the faces of some of the most important personalities from US history carved on the side of the mountain.
The sculptures of Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are all approximately 60 feet high, with an imposing sky as the backdrop. Visiting this incredible monument and learning about the colourful history of the country in the adjoining museum is one of the most invigorating things to do in USA.
Location: 13000 SD-244, Keystone, SD 57751, United State
Price: Free entry (parking fee is charged)
4. Grand Canyon: Behold the Beauty: The Grand Canyon is perhaps the most striking natural feature in the United States. This massive, mile-deep canyon can be found in the states of Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Nevada, however, the most accessible place from where you can see the canyon is from Arizona.
The Grand Canyon is believed to have formed over 5-6 million years ago, and a national park was established here in the year 1919. Today, one of the most memorable things to do in USA is trekking, hiking and visiting this beautiful natural marvel to take in the endless panoramic natural beauty
Location: Northern Arizona, USA.
Price: $35 for a vehicle permit, $30 for a motorcycle permit
5. Niagara Falls: Go for a picnic: Niagara Falls is perhaps the most iconic landmark in all of America, and enjoying a peaceful picnic amidst the breathtaking beauty of the falls is one of the most wonderful things to do in USA. The falls straddle the border of the United States and Canada and are now surrounded by a protected national park. During the picnic, you can also go to one of the many viewpoints to see the falls gushing down to the pool below.
Location: Niagra County, New York, United States
6. Yosemite National Park: Explore the Wildlife: One of the most beautiful places in the United States of America is the Yosemite National Park which is an adventurer and nature lover’s paradise. Trees that date back to millions of years can be found here along with the rolling hills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, valleys, lakes, forests full of towering sequoia trees and much more. However, one of the most exciting things to do in USA and especially in Yosemite is to explore the wildlife that thrives here.
While trekking through the park, you can see animals such as mountain lions, black bears, foxes, bighorn sheep and several exotic reptiles.
Location: California, United States
Price: $15 for one adult (on foot) for 7 days
7. The Statue of Liberty: The Statue of Liberty is one of the most recognizable structures in the world and has become a symbol for the United States of America. This beautiful neoclassical statue was initially a gift for the United States from the French Government and is now one of the most popular tourist destinations in the USA. Taking a ferry to catch an uninterrupted view of Lady Liberty with her shining torch is one of the most memorable activities to do in USA with family. You can learn more about the statue and its significance in the Liberty Museum.
Location: New York, NY 10004, United States
Price: $14 for a ferry passage to Liberty Island
8. Drive from Miami to Key West: A road trip from Miami to Key West is amongst the most fun activities to do in USA with family. The route takes you through an overseas highway from where you can catch some of the best oceanic views of the surrounding water bodies. The total distance between the two places is about 110 miles, which gives you plenty of time to take in the natural beauty of your surroundings of the Atlantic Coast. You can also make frequent stops at beaches, shops and entertainment areas on the way.
Location: East Coast, United States of America
Price: $20 for a bus shuttle from Miami to Key West
9. Empire State Building: Climb 102 floors: This iconic art-deco skyscraper is the most prominent building in New York City and climbing to the summit of this tower over 102 floors is one of the most memorable activities to do in USA with family.
The Empire State building has been an important part of popular culture and is used to date as an important office building. On the 86th floor of the Empire State Building, you can access a viewing station from where you can see large parts of New York City. There are also several restaurants in the building where you can enjoy a luxurious meal.
Location: 20 W 34th Street, New York, NY 10001, United States
Price: $30 plus tax
10. Stroll the French Quarter in New Orleans: New Orleans is a city with a rich cultural and patriotic history and when you are in this vibrant city, one of the most exciting activities to do in USA with family is exploring the French Quarters. The French Quarters can be found in the heart of the city and is characterized by thriving nightlife and buildings boasting of ancient architectural styles such as cast-iron balcony rails. Noisy bars, historical eateries, jazz clubs, markets selling gourmet French food and art and culture are a large part of the attraction of this neighbourhood.
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Price: Approximately $20 per person for a walking tour of the French Quarters
What are the things to do in USA at night?
1. Explore New York by night: Without the bustling crowds of Times Square and the tourists flocking around the Statue of Liberty, you can discover a whole new side to the largest city in the world after sundown.
2. Take a night train through Verde Valley: A train ride through the magical Verde Valley where you can see thousands of stars in the sky is one of the most wonderful things to do in USA at night.
3. Enjoy live music: Jazz and blues is an integral part of American culture and you can find some of the most iconic clubs open till late at night. Experiencing live performances by these talented musicians is one of the best things to do in USA at night.
4. Visit a Vegas casino: The casino culture of Las Vegas is famous the world over. Whether you are into gambling or not, simply enjoying the extravagance of Las Vegas with its lights and music is one of the most memorable things to do in USA at night.
5. Take a helicopter ride in San Francisco: California is one of the most beautiful places in the United States and a helicopter ride during sunset or after is a wonderful way to explore the city. You can catch the lights of the Golden Gate Bridge and get a unique view of this hilly city from above.
What are romantic things to do in the USA?
1. Visit the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset: With a sprawling Manhattan as the backdrop to your romantic walks, a visit to the Brooklyn Bridge in New York is a must if you are looking for romantic things to do in the USA. It is especially magical at dusk.
2. Book a helicopter ride in Chicaga: Chicago is a wonderful city, located on the banks of Lake Michigan. A helicopter tour at sunset where you can see the light fading on the horizon and the Lake shining in the setting sun is one of the best and most romantic experiences for couples visiting the USA.
3. Go trekking in Yosemite National Park: Couples who like nature and adventure must visit the Yosemite National Park which is a natural wonder. The ancient forests, rivers and valleys create a magical, solitary environment like no other.
4. Relax in Hawaii: The tropical and coastal beauty of Hawaii, coupled with the unique culture, delicious food and exceptional warmth of the locals makes a mini-holiday to Hawaii very romantic.
5. Go wine-tasting in the Napa Valley: The Napa Valley in California is where a large part of the world’s most delicious wines are produced. Wine-tasting tours through the golden fields of the Napa Valley is definitely one of the most romantic experiences you can enjoy with your partner in the USA.
What are the things to do in USA with kids?
1. Visit Disneyland in Florida: A visit to the USA is incomplete without a visit to Disneyland, especially if you are visiting with children. With unlimited rides, food and fun, this is bound to be a life-changing experience.
2. Explore the USA Space and Rocket Centre: You can take your kids to this modern museum that is home to real rockets, meteorites and other exciting exhibits related to space and astrophysics that children are bound to find fascinating.
3. Interact with wildlife at the San Diego Zoo: The San Diego Zoo is one of the best zoos in the world, housing animals such as elephants, koalas, pandas, giraffe, bears and more. They are kept in spacious enclosures where you can even interact with some of the animals.
4. Explore the American Museum of Natural History: The American Museum of Natural History in New York is home to a full-sized T-Rex skeleton, as well as other exciting exhibits such as plants, fossils, meteorites and much more that kids are bound to find fascinating.
5. Go on a food tour: The United States is a food-lovers paradise, especially for children who can find an abundance of US specialities such as cheeseburgers from Austin, Texas, the famous New York cheesecake, Chicago deep-dish pizzas, hot dogs and much more.
What can you do in the USA for free?
1. Visit the Museum of Modern Art: Every Friday, entry to one of the best museums in the world – MoMA – is free. Once inside, you can admire some of the most famous paintings in the world by artists such as Dali, Van Gogh, Pollock and Picasso.
2. Explore the Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA: All of the iconic stars from Hollywood have gotten a star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA which is an attraction that you must appreciate when you are in the city.
3. Watch the Las Vegas Bellagio Fountain Show: Yes, it is possible to do wonderful things in Vegas for free, even though it is the casino capital of the world. The Bellagio Fountain is a fascinating light and music display on water, where you can see the water dance to jazz music.
4. Take a walk in Central Park: Central Park in New York is another iconic landmark where you can walk peacefully amongst towering trees and on well-maintained walkways wound between lakes in the heart of New York City.
5. Visit the art deco district of Miami: Miami has one of the most distinct cultures in the USA and you can get a flavour of that colourful culture in the art deco district where all the buildings and walls are painted with signature artwork.
What are the best adventure activities in the USA?
1. Trekking in the Grand Canyon: Trekking through the endless craggy hills of the Grand Canyon is one of the most invigorating and memorable adventures you can enjoy in the USA.
2. Hiking through Yosemite National Park: The ancient sequoia trees, the hills of the Sierra Nevada and the flowing rivers make Yosemite National Parks one of the most magical places in the world for hiking and picnics.
3. Kayaking and canoeing in Lake Tahoe: Lake Tahoe, located on the California-Nevada border, is a beautiful lake fringed with alpine trees that is ideal for activities such as boating, jet skiing, canoeing and kayaking.
4. Skiing: There are a few wonderful, snow-capped places in the USA such as Aspen which is ideal for skiing and other adventures that you can indulge in on the snow
5. Paragliding: The rugged and versatile landscape of the United States makes it perfect for activities like paragliding, where you can catch acres and acres of natural terrain from above. Some of the best places for paragliding are in California, Las Vegas and Arizona.
How can I reach the USA?
By Air: No matter where you are travelling from, the easiest way to reach the USA is by flight. Almost all the cities in the country are connected by international flights with other countries. Some of the busiest airports in the world, such as the JFK International Airport (New York), O’Hare International Airport (Chicago) and Los Angeles International Airport can be found here with flights that go back and forth from all over the world.
What is the best time to visit the USA?
The best time to visit most parts of the USA is during spring (March to May) and fall (September to November). The weather and climate vary from state to state depending on their location. If you want to visit national parks such as Yellowstone and Yosemite, you should visit between April to July when the weather is pleasant and summer is largely prevalent.
What is the USA famous for?
The United States is the richest and most famous country in the world. It is the hot seat of technological developments and the business capital of the world, which is New York City, is also a part of this country. The USA is also famous for its unique culinary tastes, where fast food and elaborate meals are a part of everyday life. It is also home to some of the oldest forests, mountains and canyons in the world. Iconic monuments such as the Statue of Liberty, Hudson River, the Golden Gate Bridge and Niagara Falls are the top attractions in this country.
Is it safe to go to the USA?
Yes, the United States attracts millions of tourists every year in all of its states. While getting a visa can be time-consuming and immigration rules at airports are quite strict, it is a generally safe experience visiting this country. However, you must take the necessary precautions when venturing out at night, especially in cities like New York and Chicago.
Do I need a visa for the USA?
Yes, most foreign nationals entering the United States need a visa beforehand in order to visit the country. It is recommended that you apply for a visa at least 6 months in advance in order to get the necessary approvals before your travel dates.
Does the USA have a beach?
Yes, both the East Coast and West Coast of the United States are fringed with two of the largest oceans in the world – the Pacific and the Atlantic. This has led to the formation of several wonderful beaches and tropical islands such as Hawaii along its coasts, where several states have famous beaches. Some of the most famous beaches are Miami Beach, Maui, O’ahu, Laguna Beach, etc.
How many days are enough in the USA?
14-20 days is considered the minimum amount of time you should spend in the United States in order to get a proper flavour of the country. With over 50 states and more than 40 natural attractions only, it takes several years to properly explore the length and breadth of the country. However, in under a month, you can visit all the important cities, national parks, historical monuments and museums.
What is there to do for adults in the USA?
The USA is an adult tourist’s playground, with hundreds of world-class museums and even more national parks to trek through. The USA is also famous for its nightlife and music culture, where you can visit jazz clubs, catch a musical on Broadway, listen to blues music by world-famous artists and much more. The United States is also home to Hollywood – where the most outlandish movies in the world get made. You can even explore this unique aspect when you are visiting.
What is the USA best known for?
Perhaps the most famous thing to have come out of the USA is Hollywood. With a celebrity culture that has impacted people the world over, cinema is a very large part of American culture. The USA is also supremely famous for its food, its museums and national parks, sports such as rugby and technological advancements that have a global impact.