1. Explore Senate Square: If you're on the hunt for the best things to do in Helsinki, you can explore Senate Square that houses nineteenth-century neoclassical buildings and grand cathedrals designed by Carl Ludvig Engel.
The square is dominated by 4 buildings: Helsinki Cathedral, the University of Helsinki, the National Library of Finland, and the Government Palace. A grand statue of Alexander II stands in the middle of Senate Square. The Senate also hosts a sound installation event- the Sound of the Senate Square, the modern version of the European glockenspiel.
Location:Aleksanterinkatu, Hallituskatu, Helsinki Finland
2. Experience quietude at The Chapel of Silence: One of the best things to do in Helsinki, to seek enlightenment and bliss, is visiting The Chapel of Silence that was born out of the innate desire of a local community formed by different religious beliefs. It has been constructed in a circular shape representing the best architectural innovations in the Scandinavian style.
The chapel is calm and grand and has thick wooden walls made mainly of Nordic spruce. As you step into the main room, you'll witness wooden benches, a fascinating altar, a bowl, and a metal cross.
Location:Simonsgatan 7, 00100 Helsingfors, Finland, Helsinki
Timings:8 am – 8 pm
3. Turn the pages of history at Helsinki City Museum: If you wish to know about the rich history of Helsinki, you must visit Helsinki City Museum that upholds Helsinki's material, architectural and spiritual heritage.
It features a complexity of exhibitions ranging from displays of nineteenth-century home décor to traditional Finnish costumes with early prototypes of irons and refrigerators. A steel spring bed, a suburban yard photo, and a Kiss-kiss candy wrapper are a few of the museum's precious treasures.
Location: Aleksanterinkatu 16, Helsinki 00170 Finland
Price:€12.00 per person
Timings: 11 am – 5 pm
4. Get immersed in nature at Helsinki University Botanical Gardens: If you're confused about what to do in Helsinki, you can visit Helsinki University Botanical Gardens, which has immense collections of exotic flowers, trees, and plants from around the world.
It is the oldest botanical garden in Finland, inaugurated by Peter Kalm in the year 1678. The glasshouses and lush green grounds offer nature lovers the best experience all year round. The garden is the perfect place to escape the Finnish winter or have an afternoon stroll.
Location:44 Unionsgatan, Helsinki, 170, Finland
Timings: 10 am – 6 pm
5. Admire the breathtaking art in Sibelius Park: One of the best things to do in Helsinki is visiting Sibelius Park that celebrates Finland's most renowned composer Jean Sibelius. The centerpiece of the park is an abstract monument that was designed in 1967 by Eila Hiltunen.
The sculpture is called Passio Musicae and has over six hundred steel pipes welded together. Located in the heart of the city, it is a perfect place to stroll around and enjoy the picturesque settings.
Location:Kirkkokatu, 48101, Kymenlaakso
6. Seek the blessings of God at Temppeliaukio Church: If you're a religious soul looking for the best things to do in Helsinki, you must visit Temppeliaukio Church, which is a quiet space for reflection and introspection.
The building is slightly underground and has been constructed from the bedrock that forms the interior walls. If you go before evening, you'll see splendid shadows cast across the walls through the window to the altar wall from the light streaming. Various religious events are also held here, especially on the weekends.
Location:Lutherinkatu 3, Helsinki 00100 Finland
Timings:10 am – 5 pm
7. Enjoy a ferry ride to Suomenlinna Fortress: One of the most interesting things to do in Helsinki is enjoying a fifteen-minute ferry ride to Suomenlinna from Helsinki's Kauppatori. Suomenlinna Museum displays fascinating exhibits on the preservation and history of the fortress.
A guide will accompany you during the ride providing you information about Finland's military history. You also get to explore the jetty barracks, courtyards, and dry dock during the ride.
Location:Suomenlinna Island, Helsinki, Finland
8. Enjoy rides at the Linnanmäki Amusement Park: If you're thinking about what to do in Helsinki with kids, you can visit Linnanmäki Amusement Park, an absolute haven for thrill-seekers. It has nine free rides like the 4D cinema, carousel, panorama sightseeing tower, and several rides for small children.
It is especially renowned for its large Ferris wheel that spins the riders in a large circle. You can wander around the amusement park, enjoy breathtaking views of the city from the Panorama Tower, and indulge in lip-smacking food at the stalls inside the park.
Location:Tivoli Kuja 1, Helsinki, Uusimaa
Timings: 01:00 pm - 09:00 pm